I believe many of you have been taking chocolate and yet do not know the history of chocolate.
Chocolate has an interesting story of evolution from a bitter drink that brought vitality and energy to what we see now as an ingredient in the world’s most beloved desserts. Chocolate was formerly reserved for royalty and upper class only. Today, scientists have found that chocolate in its pure form is very good for you.
Chocolate has an interesting rich history, going back and forth across the world atlas like an explorer’s ship; from the Aztecs in the new world, to Spain, then France, then back to the Americas. Throughout history, chocolate has remained an ingredient for which has attracted lots of interest and till today it remains a mystery.
Find out more about this amazing ingredient :
- Medicinal Chocolate – How in the 19th century, Chocolate was used to treat disease.
- Historical Timeline – Chronological account of chocolate discovery and use in Europe.
- Consumption of Chocolate – How chocolate consumption has changed over time in different countries.
- Montezuma and Chocolate – The emperor drank chocolate, aka “chocolatl” in large quantities
- Hernan Cortes and Chocolate – Cortes was a chocolate drinker too.
- Cristopher Colombus and Chocolate – Columbus brought chocolate to the new world.
- Rudolphe Lindt
- Chocolate in Mayan Rituals – Treatments with chocolate originated among the Olmec, Maya and Mexica (Aztec)
- Chocolate Jesus – An artist portrays Jesus in chocolate.